Two of my good friends birthdays were yesterday and I had just gotten the hankering for some cookies. So I looked online and combined/modified them to come up with this one. I have made bacon cookies before but they were more of a breakfast style with corn flakes and raisins. I decided I wanted smokey, sweet, salty and chocolate this time around, and there is nothing wrong with having more than one bacon cookie recipe!
As I was meeting a group of friends for grilling in the park I made a pretty big batch but you could easily cut this in half. The below recipe makes about 40 cookies.
1 lb of thick cut smoked bacon
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 egg yolk2
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Cook your bacon until crispy and set aside on paper towels to drain excess grease. Yes it is a lot of bacon but we are making a lot of cookies!
2. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper. I used a little bacon grease.
3. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together and set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter and all sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips and chopped bacon by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1 tablespoon at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
5. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.